Sunday, April 12, 2015

ABC Trek: Journey to the feet of harvest goddess

After trekking to Everest Base Camp, I realised that I love being closer to mountains and away from modern civilisation - especially cellphone and Internet :) So it was no surprise that as soon as I came back to Bangalore after the hike, I was already making plans for a trek to Annapurna Base Camp. 

Given certain events that had transpired during EBC trek, I decided that this time I will ensure that all expectations are shared upfront with the potential hiking partners - just to avoid that unnecessary friction that arises out of difference in personalities and priorities. Of course I asked my funny buddy from EBC and another friend who backpacks a lot and is the least fussy amongst all the folks that I have known. While I wanted my friend with who I had planned and done EBC to join this hike, her work schedule just didn't allow this to fit in.

Anyways, soon my backpacker friend's travel partner also signed up and then in turn her running partner also joined the group. My funny buddy from EBC eventually had to drop out as her foot that was injured on way to EBC hadn't healed fully and a trek to ABC would have delayed the healing further. This is how 4 girls - two from Bangalore (my friend and I) and two from Chennai (my friend's travelling partner and her running partner) finally booked their tickets, packed  their bags and boarded the flights to Delhi! 

The itinerary that we decided on was as follows:

Day 1 - Arrive KTM by 13:00 (Indigo flight out of Delhi) & fly to Pokhara (840 m) same day at 4 pm
Day 2 - Drive to Nayapul and trek to Ghandruk
Day 3 - Trek to Chommorong (2050 m)
Day 4 - Trek to Himalayan Hotel (2840 m)
Day 5 - Trek to Macchapuchhre Base Camp (3700 m)
Day 6 - Excursion to ABC (4130 m) & Trek to Doban
Day 7 - Trek to Chommorong (2050 m)
Day 8 - Trek to Deurali via Landrung (1640 m)
Day 9 - Trek to Phedi and Drive to Pokhara and fly to KTM
Day 10 - Depart KTM by 14:00 Indigo flight to Delhi

As you can see the maximum altitude for this hike is much lesser than EBC but the trek difficulty or quality of experience cannot be determined basis just the altitude. Here is the link to a nicely written article I found that provides a good comparison of ABC and EBC treks - http://mountainquests.com/annapurna-base-camp-vs-everest-base-camp/

However, I would add my own personal comparison of the two hikes as I go through the journey myself. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment